Pipe Club is an advocacy group who monitor where the pipe hits the water to confirm $$Billions in mitigation measures to protect Lake Tahoe are working. And it seems like they are not Clarity Fraud.
But…even if the pipes were filtering as well as mother nature did for 20,000 years…if you keep throwing debris into a pipe eventually it will clog. So, what about our contribution to sediment loading TMDL (Total Daily Maximum Loads). What is it we humans do that continue to reduce water clarity?
1. Driving – wheels on the road grind dirt into fine sediment carried by wind into the water
2. Landscape – fertilizers, pesticides add nitrogen to water & land disturbance/non-pervious surfacing clog earth pores
3. Recreate – off road vehicles disturb natural habitat, leak contaminants and grind dirt into fine particles. Boats that leak solvents or bring invasive species into the Lake create hazards not easily mitigated.
Since it is 700 years between ‘baths’ for Tahoe (time it takes for Lake to change all of its water)…how can you minimize your impact on Lake Tahoe?
1. Reduce Driving! Take public transit, walk, bike or carpool
2. Go native! Use natural landscaping- no chemical fertilizers and minimum land disturbance
3. Choose activities that do not involve motors: bike, hike, kayak, SUP, tour in groups, wildlife viewing, cultural, historic and artistic activities that are accessible via public transit, biking or car pool
If you think 38 pipes can mitigate our behavior – think again.
Every move you make in the watershed – ripples out 10 times. make your next move count!